Sharing my allergy safe version of the popular rice krispie squares treats but made festive by adding a chocolate layer sprinkled with crushed candy canes. 6 ingredients, 10 minutes of hands-on time and so easy to make.
Why I Made This Recipe
We adore making rice krispie treats and adding a layer of chocolate and candy canes is such an easy way to jazz them up for Christmas. The base of this recipe is a family favourite that we make throughout the year for lunch box treats, road trip snacks and also molded into shapes for special occasions.
Why You Need This Recipe
Just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes of time. This no bake recipe is easy to make with the majority of the time used to chill the treats before adding the chocolate layer. These rice krispie squares are crunchy AND gooey and the pop of mint on top really compliments the chocolate.
Ingredients and Substitutions
This is a vegan, soy free, nut free recipe. I have not marked it as gluten free as the marshmallows that I used contain wheat. Feel free to sub with your preferred brand of marshmallows.
This recipe uses:
- Plant Based Butter (unsalted) to help bind the cereal
- Vegan Marshmallows for flavour and gooeyness
- Rice Cereal
- Vegan Chocolate Chips for the topping
- Coconut Oil to help melt the chocolate
- Crushed Candy Canes For decoration
How to Make Festive Rice Krispie Squares
Start by greasing then lining an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper. Leave an overhang on each side as this will make it easier to remove the slab of rice cereal from the pan once it has set.
Melt 70g of plant based butter in a large saucepan then add in 275g marshmallows and continuously stir until fully melted.
The marshmallows are ready once they ‘clump’ together in a big sticky ball. Be careful not to overheat them as they will burn.
Remove from the heat and stir in the rice cereal with a wooden spoon until fully combined.
The mixture will feel hard to combine at the start but will come together quickly as you keep stirring.
Spread the mixture in the prepared baking pan then allow to cool.
Melt 150g chocolate chips and 2 tbsp coconut oil in the microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals. The coconut oil helps to retain the glossiness of the chocolate and creates a smoother, pourable chocolate.
Pour over the rice cereal base.
Ensure that the chocolate goes all the way into the corners.
Finally, add the crushed candy canes then chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour until set.
Using the overhang, lift the slab of rice krispie treats from the pan.
Cut into bite size pieces and enjoy!
This recipe makes an average of 16 squares, depending on the size that you cut the rice krispie treats.
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
The brand of marshmallows that I am using in this recipe contains gluten. Double check your marshmallows as many do not contain gluten.
Absolutely. Simply add 75 grams of chocolate chips and 2 tbsp cocoa powder to the butter and melt in the saucepan then continue with the rest of the recipe.
Check out the following holiday treats:
- Use up leftover cake with some Festive Cake Balls
- Try my 5 ingredient Coconut Macaroons (dairy free)
- My Candy Cane Shortbread is perfect for gifting (vegan)
- Every cookie swap needs Chocolate Chip Cookies! (vegan)
- The easiest microwave Vanilla Fudge recipe never disappoints (vegan)
- And if you love rice krispie treats, check out my rainbow sprinkles recipe
And if you’re looking for more Christmas baking ideas, check out the Bakemas 2021 playlist on my Youtube channel where I share 8 fun holiday recipes. Happy Eating!
Festive Rice Krispie Treats
- 70 grams Plant Based Butter (unsalted) (5 tbsp)
- 275 grams Vegan Marshmallows (6 US Cups)
- 140 grams Rice Cereal (5 Cups)
- 150 grams Vegan Chocolate Chips (3/4 US Cup)
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- Crushed Candy Canes (For decoration)
- Grease then line an 8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Melt 70g of plant based butter in a large saucepan. Add in 275g marshmallows and continuously stir until fully melted.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the rice cereal until fully combined.
- Spread in the prepared baking pan then allow to cool.
- Melt 150g chocolate chips and 2 tbsp coconut oil in the microwave, stirring at 30 second intervals.
- Pour over the rice cereal base then add crushed candy canes. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour until set.
- Remove from the pan, cut in to pieces and enjoy!
- This recipe makes an average of 20 squares, depending on the size that you cut the rice krispy treats.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks.
- Check out the recipe post FAQ for other flavour options and recommendations.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 square per serving with 12 servings per recipe. Please note that nutrition information is calculated based on the ingredients in this recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons.