The quickest dessert you’ll ever make. Fresh strawberries and maple marshmallows are a match made in heaven and when you add mini chocolate donuts into the mix, this is the perfect party pleaser. This recipe makes 6 strawberry marshmallow donut kabobs in less than 15 minutes.
Why I Made this Recipe
It’s strawberry season here in Ontario and what a perfect way to showcase these adorable juicy fruits than by including them on a fresh kabob that is a breeze to make. They also make the perfect red and white dessert for Canada Day!
Why You need to make these
If you are looking for a last minute party treat, these are perfect. All you need are fresh strawberries, your favourite marshmallows, and some mini donuts or pieces of cake. Even the kids can help out with this one.
Ingredients and Substitutions
The star of this recipe is the freshly picked strawberries and you can literally use anything else to go with them. Check out the FAQ section for some extra tips.
Strawberries: always wash your strawberries thoroughly before making this recipe – keep reading for my top tip to retain freshness.
Cake: I decided to make some mini chocolate donuts by adapting my vegan ring donut recipe to create a chocolate donut recipe. You can find the full mini chocolate donut recipe here. Bake the mini donuts for 6-7 minutes and allow to cool before making the kabobs. You could also use premade brownies or some squares from your favourite homemade cake.
Marshmallows: as it’s almost Canada Day, I’m using large maple flavoured marshmallows but you can use any that you like. If you are vegan, sub with vegan marshmallows. Dandies ones are great!
How to Make Strawberry Kabobs
This is a no bake recipe (yay!) so start by gathering all of your ingredients as well as some bbq skewers.
Before building the kabobs, make sure you have washed your fruit first. I like to give mine a water and white vinegar soak for 10 minutes. I added 1 tsp of white vinegar to this bowl. Look how gorgeous the strawberries look in their water bath. We eat so many during strawberry season and this is a great way to prolong their freshness.
Pat them dry with some kitchen paper, cut off the tops and then they’ll be ready to use.
Now it’s time to start making the kabobs. And yes, there’s no rules with this. I usually do fruit, cake, marshmallow, cake, fruit but it’s entirely up to you.
And that’s it! I told you it was easy.
And I can confirm that they take as long to eat as they did to make. So what are you waiting for?
These kabobs are perfect served with some homemade dipping sauce such as my 5 minute caramel sauce or some melted chocolate. You could even drizzle chocolate on them before serving.
This recipe makes 6 kabobs but you can easily make more. Just increase the ingredients accordingly.
These are best made immediately before serving but will store ok in the fridge for a few hours in an airtight container. If you have any left over, pop them back in the fridge in an airtight container and eat within 2 days. Note that the marshmallows and mini donuts may get a little soggy but will still taste great.
I used my mini chocolate donuts recipe to make the mini donuts. Bake the mini donuts for 6-7 minutes and allow to cool before making the kabobs.
I do not recommend freezing the kabobs as it will affect the texture of the fruit and marshmallows. These are best enjoyed immediately after making.
Looking for more easy treats?
Check out these small bites recipes, which would complement the strawberry marshmallow donut kabobs perfectly on a dessert table:
- Kids and adults will go crazy for my allergy safe Rice Krispie Treats (dairy free)
- What’s not to love about my easy to make air fryer churro bites (vegan)
- How about some little bites of yumminess with my 4 ingredient coconut ice (DF, GF, Vegan)
Strawberry Marshmallow Donut Kabobs
- 6 BBQ Skewers
- Bowl of 1 tsp white vinegar and water (for washing the strawberries)
- 12 Strawberries
- 12 Mini Chocolate Donuts (see note)
- 6 Large Marshmallows
- Gather all of your ingredients and supplies.
- Wash your strawberries in a water/white vinegar soak for 10 minutes. Pat dry with kitchen paper then cut off the tops of the strawberries.
To Create the Kabobs
- Add the strawberries, marshmallows and mini donuts to the bbq skewers. There is no wrong way to do this!
- Serve with dipping sauce if desired. Enjoy!
- This recipe makes 6 kabobs. Best enjoyed immediately.
- I used my mini chocolate donuts recipe to make the mini donuts. Bake the mini donuts for 6-7 minutes and allow to cool before making the kabobs.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container and eat within 2 days. Note that the marshmallows and mini donuts may get a little soggy but will still taste great.
- Check out the full recipe post for additional small treat ideas.
- Nutrition information is based on 1 kabob per serving with 6 servings per recipe. Please note that nutrition information is calculated based on the ingredients in this recipe. It is an estimate only and is provided for informational purposes. You should consult your health care provider or a registered dietitian if precise nutrition calculations are needed for health reasons